• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

edd5190

WCA
2007ADSU01
YouTube
Visit Channel
A thread for accomplishments, hence the title, "Accomplishments Thread".

Just post your accomplishments here. I decided to make an accomplishments thread because they have one in TwistyPuzzles and I think it would be nice to have one here too.

I'll start: I've finally gotten around to starting learning CLS! Hooray for me!:D So far, I only know about 6, but I'm learning a few everyday.

h3ndrik

first sub 30 solve after 1 1/2 month of cubing. nonlucky, no skipped steps, just fine block building at the start (meaning consistent but slow turning, no pauses & good lookahead).
I'm looking forward to my first sub 40 average :)

EDIT:
just accomplished a sub 40 avg :]
next goal: sub 40 avg of 100
i love it, every day i cube i keep getting better times. 1 or 2 seconds everyday :D

Last edited by a moderator:

AvGalen

Premium Member
Rotterdam (actually Capelle aan den IJssel), the N
WCA
2006GALE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I hold the Dutch national record for Fewest Moves and Multiple Blind.
I have won 2 official events: Magic at the Italian Open 2007 and 2x2x2 at the Lyon Open 2007.
I am the number 4 on the list of "most countries". (The other 3 are all from the "Bene"-Lux and were there at Worlds2003. I started in 2006)
And I am the fastest "beginner" that I know. (Still using keyhole + 4 look last layer)

Believe me ,it's a very useful skill!
I would like to believe you.....................but I don't :)

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Believe me ,it's a very useful skill!
I would like to believe you.....................but I don't :)
But what if you were trapped in a room with your hands cuffed to the wall behind your back, and the handcuffs could be opened by a remote control signal that would be sent from a rubik's cube that's held by a chain to the floor in front of you as soon as it was solved?

Oh, I guess that's not a very common scenario - never mind.

badmephisto

YouTube
Visit Channel
My accomplishment:
I've had about 40 people learn to solve the cube at school in the past 6 weeks.
It's spreading like wildfire here!

wow thats pretty impressive... i wish i could spread it like that too :( theres too many lazy asses in my school. They try the cross, get it, and in the second i mention algorithms, they just give up

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
wow thats pretty impressive... i wish i could spread it like that too theres too many lazy asses in my school. They try the cross, get it, and in the second i mention algorithms, they just give up

I used to teach people using algorithms too, but I found that most of the time they would just give up right then and there too. Or if I was very lucky they would learn 2-3 algorithms before giving up ;-) Now what I do is to explain very detailed what each algorithm does, but I never call it an algorithm.

Like if they have the "bar" OLL case for orienting edges only (UR and UL are correctly oriented, but UB and UF are flipped) then I don't tell them "OK let's do an algorithm to flip edges: do F R U R' U' F', ok you're done. " I say "OK now what we need to do is bring this front edge here down onto the right side. So turn this front face once clockwise. Ok now that it is on the front face, we need to place it into the top layer and replace another edge. So what you need to do is turn this right side so that the edge moves into the top layer........... blah blah blah......... more blah....... etc."

So I am still telling them the algorithm, but I explain exactly why they do each move, and what the goal is for each turn. The downside to this is that it takes a long time to teach it, because you have to explain every move, and often you have to do the alg several times doing this too. The benefit is that when the person you are teaching does finally "click" or learn the alg, they do not forget it, because they completely understand what they are doing to the cube as they apply it.

Just my two cents. I think it helps when teaching people to also not ever mention the word algorithm, but to just describe the reasoning and purpose behind each move in the algorithms you are teaching them.

Good luck on teaching people though, it is quite fun to teach people to solve the cube!

Chris

h3ndrik

you just have to know a beginners method that requires only 2 algorithms plus mirrors. i think you can teach that to anyone :) i learned solving the cube that way. i just didn't want to learn algorithms, so i went for the easiest method (less algorithms = easier method, thats what i thought, when i didn't have a clue about cubing) it is a brute force method, though.

h3ndrik

first sub 40 avg of 100 (38.91)
new pb avg of 12 (35.54)
funny thing, my times increase with every 100 solves. max 3 seconds every day :)
in 1 month my times dropped from about 60 seconds best average to now 35 best avg. still a long way to go.
ok, next goals will be sub 35.xx avg of 100 and pb avg of sub 30.

Last edited: