• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

How long did it take you to get Sub-X at 3x3 BLD

TheGrayCuber

WCA
2012GRAY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok haha. Any tips for better memo? I am trying to get sub-1 memo but i keep DNFing

There's a couple of reasons that memo is slow:

Recognizing pieces and the letter assigned with it will improve with more blind solves.

Coming up with a word for a letter pair can waste time, so making a list will help in solidifying letter pairs.

Reviewing too often wastes a lot of time. Try to only review once after corners or edges, whichever you do first, and then once after memo.

Prana

Yeah I am also starting to make an image for each letter pair for my corners, but I use audio memo for edges and I always have trouble memorizing it without multiple reviewing. How to memorize in one audio loop?

TheGrayCuber

WCA
2012GRAY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah I am also starting to make an image for each letter pair for my corners, but I use audio memo for edges and I always have trouble memorizing it without multiple reviewing. How to memorize in one audio loop?

The best way to do that is to get faster at both memo and execution. If you are faster, you don't need to remember as long. If you have to review, review until you get faster.

Jamescuber

these are rough estimates
sub 10:00 a few days (after my first success)
sub 5:00 1 week
sub 3:00 1 month
sub 2:00 1 month
sub 1:30 1 month
sub 1:00 3 months
sub 50 2 month
sub 40 1 month
sub 30 2 months
sub 28 1 month
Hey daniel , I am at sub 1:50 after 2 months , my currently method is m2/op ( sub 1 memo )
What should I do for getting sub 1 in next 1 year ?
thanks !

D

Daniel Lin

Hey daniel , I am at sub 1:50 after 2 months , my currently method is m2/op ( sub 1 memo )
What should I do for getting sub 1 in next 1 year ?
thanks !
learn 3style (whenever you want) and push memo

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
these are rough estimates
sub 10:00 a few days (after my first success)
sub 5:00 1 week
sub 3:00 1 month
sub 2:00 1 month
sub 1:30 1 month
sub 1:00 3 months
sub 50 2 month
sub 40 1 month
sub 30 2 months
sub 28 1 month

Good timeline construction ,
but thinking in number of solves,

sub 10:00 <10 solves (after my first success)
sub 5:00 ~15 solves
sub 3:00 ~30 solves
sub 2:00 ~100 solves
sub 1:30 ~200 solves
sub 1:00 ~ 500 solves
sub 50 ~ 700-800 solves (assuming you introduce 3 style)
sub 40 ~ 1500 solves
sub 30 ~ 3000 solves (assuming you change to super fast algs in 3style)
sub 25 ~ 7000 solves
sub 20 ~ 15000 solves
sub 18 ~ 20000 solves (assuming you learn floating buffers , and know lot of parity cases) 3 years
sub 15 ~ 100,000 solves (assuming you start dropping 3 style , and go to higher cycles) 10 years

Duncan Bannon

@Mike Hughey How do/did you do that many attempts in 1 day? I struggle to do more than 2. After that, my memo of the current attempt bleads into past attempts that day. I am of course, very beginner.

Lastly, I'm just recently getting into 3BLD and gotta say, after 1 successful attempt, I'm hooked. When is M2 an option?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
It is normal for memo on multiple solves to be hard at first. But I found that simply pushing yourself through lots of solves makes you get better at holding your memory. If I'm out of practice, I find that my first few solves are fairly easy, then the next 10 or so can get pretty difficult as memory blends together, then it starts getting better again past about 15 solves or so.

Obviously, to do 100 solves in a day you need to be willing to devote a lot of time. It helps to be faster - when I was doing that I was close to sub-1, so each attempt probably took only about a minute and a half. That meant I could get through 100 solves in less than 3 hours. I often tried to do that all in one sitting, just to push myself. The good news is that when I was doing that, I was pretty accurate in official competitions too, since I was already so used to doing solves under stress.

And there's no reason why you can't move on to M2 any time you want - I'm sure now is fine, if you're interested in trying. It's a pretty decent stepping-stone to 3style, although some will tell you the buffer isn't ideal, especially if you're hoping to be sub-30 or even sub-20 someday. But I'll probably never get that good, so I'm satisfied with the mediocre buffer piece. :)

Prana

Early July 2017 I had my first success with 20 min memo and 6:30 execution. Early August 2017 I am sub 10. Right now (Mid August 2017) my PB is 1:45 with an average of 2:30

Wow I even forgot I wrote this message, glad I did. I know full 3 style with buffers DF/UF and UBL and average around 35 seconds with UF/UBL now