• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!
WCA
2012BRAS01
Not that I would know but....
UF I think is faster at least that's what fast people say
This is completely off topic at this point, but my justification is that the commutators with UB are actually just as good as with UF, and my buffer for corner and my buffer for edge would be right next to each other, allowing for easier setups to 22LL cases if I ever decided to get super super serious about BLD.

Also, I really like the consistency of having my first letter in my lettering scheme be my buffer, no matter the type of piece.

WCA
2015FOXC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just found this now and am gonna share something that I did, I bet some people might use something like it, but whatever. When I first started BLD, to memo my first edge cycle I would replace the letters with the "1,2,3 1,2,3 drink." In Sia's song, chandelier. Hope it helped someone.

Alex B71

I just found this now and am gonna share something that I did, I bet some people might use something like it, but whatever. When I first started BLD, to memo my first edge cycle I would replace the letters with the "1,2,3 1,2,3 drink." In Sia's song, chandelier. Hope it helped someone.
Could you elaborate further on that? I have no idea what you mean.

WCA
2015FOXC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Could you elaborate further on that? I have no idea what you mean.
Well I hope that you know the song "Chandelier." If not, then check it out here,
. When it says, "1,2,3 1,2,3 drink, I just sing my first edge cycle to the tune of the song when it says "1,2,3 1,2,3 drink, so I might sing, " X, Q, I, H, U, P, T." and have it in my head.

Alex B71

Well I hope that you know the song "Chandelier." If not, then check it out here,
. When it says, "1,2,3 1,2,3 drink, I just sing my first edge cycle to the tune of the song when it says "1,2,3 1,2,3 drink, so I might sing, " X, Q, I, H, U, P, T." and have it in my head.

Ahhh, i get it now. Making it a rhythmical thing. Yeah that's a useful thing to do aswell.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel
What about just sounding out letters? Do people find it easier choosing words?
I assume that you are still talking about pairs. Issues you can have are words sounding similar. For me KT is KaT. It would be easy to recall that as CaT if I didn't have a system that I know (CT is ChaT).
If you mean sounding out the individual letters then you are doubling the amount you have to recall and it's harder to keep track of parity. Not recommended.

WCA
2015PEAR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I assume that you are still talking about pairs. Issues you can have are words sounding similar. For me KT is KaT. It would be easy to recall that as CaT if I didn't have a system that I know (CT is ChaT).
If you mean sounding out the individual letters then you are doubling the amount you have to recall and it's harder to keep track of parity. Not recommended.
No, I meant sounding out the individual letters, and I'm curious: why does it double the amount I have to recall? If you just say like "plskatinb" it can sometimes be very fast

CyanSandwich

WCA
2013NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
No, I meant sounding out the individual letters, and I'm curious: why does it double the amount I have to recall? If you just say like "plskatinb" it can sometimes be very fast
Sounding out individual letters is twice the amount of syllables to recall. It's definitely slower and makes things harder.

plskatinb = Pee Ell Ess Kay Ay Tee Eye En Bee
plskatinb = Pill Seek At In B

The 2nd one is much faster to encode and recall. But you also shouldn't stick completely to real words. Like you can just pronounce OB and VU how they're spelled.

WCA
2015PEAR02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sounding out individual letters is twice the amount of syllables to recall. It's definitely slower and makes things harder.

plskatinb = Pee Ell Ess Kay Ay Tee Eye En Bee
plskatinb = Pill Seek At In B

The 2nd one is much faster to encode and recall. But you also shouldn't stick completely to real words. Like you can just pronounce OB and VU how they're spelled.
Whoops, 'individual' may have been the wrong word for me to use.
I was meaning sounding out each letter like in a word.
plskatinb is spelled literally the same as how it's pronounced in what I'm talking about. maybe: "Pl-uh-sk-at-inb" (not seperated for syllables).

Really, I thought this was how everyone did it and that's what everyone meant when they said audio edges (although I knew audio edges can be done in many different ways).

I average 1:30-1:40 but I'll try out the words and sounds combination

CyanSandwich

WCA
2013NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
plskatinb is spelled literally the same as how it's pronounced in what I'm talking about. maybe: "Pl-uh-sk-at-inb" (not seperated for syllables).

Really, I thought this was how everyone did it and that's what everyone meant when they said audio edges (although I knew audio edges can be done in many different ways).

Oh okay, I thought you might have meant that. That's basically what I/most people do. It's just that you've lumped more letters together.

If I saw plskatinb written down, yeah I would memo it as "pluh-skat-inb". But you wanna create the sounds as you go, at least when you start doing no review audio.

Essentially, if you want to pronounce plskatinb as it's written, you have to memo the whole letter string somehow, then convert it to audio.

Edit: You should also always memo in even chunks (whether in pairs, 4's, 6's) because it makes M2 easier, and it makes 3-cycles A LOT easier.

newtonbase

Premium Member
WCA
2015ADAM03
YouTube
Visit Channel

That's audio but not strictly pairs. If it works for you then stick with it. Pairs should cut down on mistakes and help track parity though.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Rhythm(Beats) is a very good concept.
It is just non-linear metronome, which can come handy, since we are memorising things that are distinct.