• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Should 4BLD and 5BLD means be recognized officially?

Should BigBLD means be recognized officially?

• Yes, and 2-means should be recognized as well

• Yes, but only means

• Only 2-means should be recognized

• No forms of means should be recognized

Results are only viewable after voting.

porkynator

WCA
2011TRON02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I agree that they should be official.

I see Mark's point, but I don't think it is such a bad thing. True, sometimes you have to sacrifice either a good mean (for a chance of getting a faster single/winning) or, vice versa, a good single. But, on the other hand, you can choose what strategy to apply and which of the two goals to pursue - that's better than having only one goal! Moreover, this gives room to new strategies. For example, you may approach your last solve like this: start memorizing fast, so that you don't give up the chance of a good single; but then, if the scramble turns out to be hard, review your memo and do it safer.

I don't think the "all-event-club" should prevent us from changing the format. That's an unofficial thing, even more unofficial than BigBLD means - at least they have a spot in WCA's website. If those people who have completed all events want to keep their title, they should just practice and get a mean :)

One last point. More than "not changing the game", I would argue that introducing BigBLD means can be good for us, for the simple reason that they would incentivize organizers to hold BigBLD in the Bo3 format (with cumulative cutoffs), instead of Bo2. This means more attempts, provided that you are fast enough.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel

Roman

WCA
2012STRA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
After mo3s will be introduced, I can predict people complaining about MBLD being the only event without mean or average. "Why should it be treated differently than the other 17 events?"; "let's come up with a method of measuring the points/time average".
I was always inclined towards REDUCING the number of events or recognized records on the WCA. The less events there are, the more valu.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I guess I don't really understand why they are treated differently to 3BLD means, as aside from the rarity, the same arguments apply to both.

Personally I find it a little frustrating when starting the third 3BLD attempt after two successes, because there is a temptation to go safe and get a mean rather than go all-out to get the best single. That seems a conflict of interest and distracts from the spirit of the competition which of course should be to go for the best result.

Yes , to solve this problem and have the spirit of competition, the 3BLD event can be made average of 5, which will give one solve to go all out for a good single, while still getting the mean, as a DNF will be allowed in the Average of 5 format.

For 4bld and 5bld, the pool for the people who will have mean is just too less. And there is already an event called MBLD which measures the precision of blindsolving, we don't need another format (bigBLD mo3) to test this precision.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
After mo3s will be introduced, I can predict people complaining about MBLD being the only event without mean or average. "Why should it be treated differently than the other 17 events?"; "let's come up with a method of measuring the points/time average".
I was always inclined towards REDUCING the number of events or recognized records on the WCA. The less events there are, the more valu.

I agree about lesser records will mean more value.
To make MBLD mean of 3, logically the only event which will not have a mean, we will have to tamper with the hour limit.
Since there are only a few competitions that can allow 3hours of MBLD in their schedule, testing this mo3 MBLD in many competitions will not be possible.

So , the ad-hoc solution can be to make MBLD attempts only 20 minutes each , so that a mean of 3 can be determined in most of the competition. Again, a 20 minute format doesn't seem convincing.

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes , to solve this problem and have the spirit of competition, the 3BLD event can be made average of 5, which will give one solve to go all out for a good single, while still getting the mean, as a DNF will be allowed in the Average of 5 format.
That doesn't really solve the problem because if you get a DNF earlier you are in the same situation. The problem is simply that means/averages and singles reward two different things (speed and accuracy) which are in conflict with each other. If it is a problem at all, because some people might like that :).

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I do not think the consistency of having all BLD means will be addressed by having bigBLD mean. I think it will be a bit premature to recognize bigBLD means as official results,
as there are talks about have 3BLD as an average of 5. https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/threads/proposal-combined-best-of-3-best-of-5-rounds-for-3bld.69657/
Not enough people have voted on this decision on the SS forum and the decision stands almost equal.

If Combined Best of 3/Best of 5 Rounds is recognized then there will be more inconsistency in the BLD events. Also, there is a chance of MBLD being a mo3 event, if the community deliberates and dicusses on it anytime in the future.

U

Underwatercuber

I do not think the consistency of having all BLD means will be addressed by having bigBLD mean. I think it will be a bit premature to recognize bigBLD means as official results,
as there are talks about have 3BLD as an average of 5. https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/threads/proposal-combined-best-of-3-best-of-5-rounds-for-3bld.69657/
Not enough people have voted on this decision on the SS forum and the decision stands almost equal.

If Combined Best of 3/Best of 5 Rounds is recognized then there will be more inconsistency in the BLD events. Also, there is a chance of MBLD being a mo3 event, if the community deliberates and dicusses on it anytime in the future.
On the mbld point that’s a lot less likely to happen seeing how few comps have bo3 whereas 3/4/5bld all are frequently bo3 so it’s much easier to implement means