• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

3x3 OH

Do you think it yould happen?

• Yes

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 23 65.7%

• Total voters
I was looking at the WCA rankings for OH average, and I wondered, could world-class 3x3 OH times get to similar times to 3x3 2H?

In all honesty, I think that they could, if people seriously work on OH TPS, turning styles, and further development of OH algs for things like OLL and PLL and sub-sets like ZBLL and COLL.

Please post what you think.

shadowslice e

YouTube
Visit Channel
It depends on the method and what you mean by world class. CFOP I have doubts about but other methods like Roux or 42 or something could well get similar times though there will likely always be at least a second or two gap.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
No, for a couple of reasons.

OH solving is solving with a physical limitation that reduces TPS. If that limitation ever creased to be a handicap (I'm aware that there are individuals who have solved faster OH than 2H, but that's the exception rather than the rule) the event would become meaningless.

Because OH is solving with artificially reduced TPS, that means that efficient (and ergonomic) solutions are favored. As people figure out new tricks for OH, variations will work their way into 2H solving as well. OH is great for developing methods and tricks, but at this point I think that the greater restrictions present in Feet make a much more interesting opportunity for development.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
It's not stupid, just a different opinion on what could happen.
It's possible that we could see 7 second OH averages in the future, and it's possible that we won't, we will never know until it either happens or doesn't happen.
If we see 7 second OH averages I think we'll see 4 second 2H averages. Not to say that somebody couldn't have a 7-second OH average and a 7-second 2H average, but if they did they'd likely not be world-class at 2H at that point.

RouxCuber

I would pick no, but if it ends up happening, it's definitely not going to be OH using CFOP. move count is just too high.