• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

OP DaYan 2x2 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRL0312

WCA
2017LORE01
About a month ago I got a black 50mm old plastic 2x2 DaYan. Of course I was very excited, but now I am not. I have to clean it and re-lube it almost every few days, because I will lube it (W4 on screws, speedy and W1 on the pieces) and it will be VERY fast, and the tensions are very loose too. Then a day later, it will become super sluggish, clacky, and super blocky. What makes me more mad is the fact that my friend has a 46mm and his isn't not even as close to being as loose as mine, and his is so much faster, and it stays that way. Anyone know what's going on with my Dayan???

gavinz

WCA
2017MOON04
White, as in visually, or black residue when touched?
He probably uses a black cube
About a month ago I got a black 50mm old plastic 2x2 DaYan. Of course I was very excited, but now I am not. I have to clean it and re-lube it almost every few days, because I will lube it (W4 on screws, speedy and W1 on the pieces) and it will be VERY fast, and the tensions are very loose too. Then a day later, it will become super sluggish, clacky, and super blocky. What makes me more mad is the fact that my friend has a 46mm and his isn't not even as close to being as loose as mine, and his is so much faster, and it stays that way. Anyone know what's going on with my Dayan???
The residue is the screw scraping against the plastic. It's that loose, like my XingHen previously. His is not as loose but the screw is giving resistance.

The residue is the plastic or the plastic + the lube depending on how runny it is.

Do you know where the residue comes from?
It's the screw rubbing/scraping against the plastic and taking bits of it out.
My Aolong has this gross white residue in its pieces. It starts getting slower. I just started a few months ago and I don't have lube just yet. I've tried cleaning it with water, Q-Tips, and tissues, but it's like dust, it never goes away. I blame stock lube. I vowed to always take the cube apart after getting it and wiping out all the lube. But for his case, it might be the mixture of silicone lubes. Like he said, he lubed it with both Speedy and (Cubicle?) Weight 1 on the pieces. I was planning to do Weight 5 and Speedy on the pieces, (for the smoothness and speed, don't judge me) or maybe Weight 3. Since the lube on the pieces are so light, the OP Dayan might've went back to its original state. The OP Dayan is pretty fast, but like my Aolong, the white residue might've been left in there. Plus, CrazyBadCuber said that you need to break lube in for multiple days to make it awesome. Maybe when the lube is just sitting there, it just goes to one place, and you need to break it in again.
Dang, this is long.

gavinz

WCA
2017MOON04
My Aolong has this gross white residue in its pieces. It starts getting slower. I just started a few months ago and I don't have lube just yet. I've tried cleaning it with water, Q-Tips, and tissues, but it's like dust, it never goes away. I blame stock lube. I vowed to always take the cube apart after getting it and wiping out all the lube. But for his case, it might be the mixture of silicone lubes. Like he said, he lubed it with both Speedy and (Cubicle?) Weight 1 on the pieces. I was planning to do Weight 5 and Speedy on the pieces, (for the smoothness and speed, don't judge me) or maybe Weight 3. Since the lube on the pieces are so light, the OP Dayan might've went back to its original state. The OP Dayan is pretty fast, but like my Aolong, the white residue might've been left in there. Plus, CrazyBadCuber said that you need to break lube in for multiple days to make it awesome. Maybe when the lube is just sitting there, it just goes to one place, and you need to break it in again.
Dang, this is long.
That's white residue, he said there is black. I don't think lube would leave black residue. White residue comes from lube or if you have a white cube, the plastic.

gavinz

WCA
2017MOON04
Ok ok, I highly doubt the black residue is the screws (had the problem with my xinghen) here's a visual.
http://imgur.com/a/6WWhm
Same with my XingHen.
That is just the breakin process. The plastic very slowly rubs away and mixes with the lube, making that substance. It just needs cleaned out.
He's saying it does it all the time obviously it's not just the lube rubbing against the plastic.
But I just cleaned it...
My ChuWen only leaves lube behind. But my XingHen leaves black plastic shavings because of the screw. If you try turning with your wrists and feel the screw touching the plastic and leaving black plastic in the screw it's the tensions. You could fix this by getting shorter screws and springs.
The screw will always slowly take away the plastic overtime. There is no permanent way to get rid of it. Maybe putting a washer on the screwhead...
The screw is too high/loose so it touches the plastic, if he tightened it may not do that. My ChuWen has shorter springs than my XingHen and doesn't leave the plastic behind.

CRL0312

WCA
2017LORE01
Same with my XingHen.

He's saying it does it all the time obviously it's not just the lube rubbing against the plastic.

My ChuWen only leaves lube behind. But my XingHen leaves black plastic shavings because of the screw. If you try turning with your wrists and feel the screw touching the plastic and leaving black plastic in the screw it's the tensions. You could fix this by getting shorter screws and springs.

The screw is too high/loose so it touches the plastic, if he tightened it may not do that. My ChuWen has shorter springs than my XingHen and doesn't leave the plastic behind.
Please if you could tell me where to get different and smaller screws?

I_<3_SCS

Hardware stores have lots of M3 screws, but I have a feeling that those shoulder screws are custom like from MMC and are pretty expensive for something like just 6 ($$$$$).

Status
Not open for further replies.