• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Switching to 3-style questions

S.S.STAR

WCA
2017YANG75
There is blindfolded help thread already but I have many questions so I decided to make a new thread. If I did wrong, please move this to existing thread. Or this thread can be used for other cubers that are switching to 3-style.

Sorry for bad English because I'm not native English-speaker.

So, my questions are,

1. Switching buffers

I'm currently using UBL/DF buffers since I'm using OP/M2. (and DFr for wings)
So I'm considering for switching buffers to UFR/UF because I heard they are bit better and more algs are available than UBL/DF. And learing corner comms first because M2 for edges is just fine for me now. (I'll learn edge comms after corners.)

Q1-1 How much time did you spend to switching buffers?

I do bigBLD too, so more questions.

Q1-2 There are also corners in 4BLD&5BLD. Should I wait until I can perform corner comms fine or just practice without corners?
Q1-3 In the long term, my buffer for edges will be switched o UF. And then should I switch buffer for wings?

Because If I switch wing buffer to UFr, completely different set of stickers are to be recognized compared to DFr buffer. This will make me confusing. Do I have to overcome or just stick to DFr?

2. Execute order

I'm using letter pairs and know concept of comms but I'm confusing which piece should executed first.
For example, UFR-UBL-UBR is

[l': [U, R' D2 R]]

and first U moves UBR first. And in my letter pair, there is UBL first.

And UFR-UBL-FUL is

[l': [U2, R' D2 R]]

this time, UBL moves first and there's UBL first too in letter pair.

Of course I can exectue correctly if I think a bit, but it takes quite long especially UFR piece moves during setup.

Q2 There are some tips for recognizing what order to execute comms correctly or I have to drill and practice a lot to be comfortable and that's the only way?

3. Parity

I execute corners first.

Q3 So if there is parity, (targets are odd number) Is it right execute comm last target and random target, (for example, UBR) finish edges, and setup to one of PLL algs?
I'm dealing parity awkwardly now, but I have to fix this in future.

Extra information of me

3BLD 1:10ish avg/ ECCE order/ currectly using OP/M2.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
It takes about ~2 months (varies according to person to person) to switch and start using the newer buffer algs in your solve. Like I started learning UF/UFR in Jan 2019, and it's only now that I can get somewhat recent solves.

My advice is to just do floating UF till you do not get all the algs.
UBL and UFR are quite similar and UFR is only slightly better. So, you can stick to UF/UBL for a month or two and see how it goes.

S.S.STAR

WCA
2017YANG75
It takes about ~2 months (varies according to person to person) to switch and start using the newer buffer algs in your solve. Like I started learning UF/UFR in Jan 2019, and it's only now that I can get somewhat recent solves.

My advice is to just do floating UF till you do not get all the algs.
UBL and UFR are quite similar and UFR is only slightly better. So, you can stick to UF/UBL for a month or two and see how it goes.

Thanks for advice. Just to clarify, are you saying go for edge comms first and stick to UBL till I can use UFR buffer fine? I can understand your advice but little confused.

WCA
2019SAUK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
About parity

I solve parity while memo. You just need to swap UB and UL in ur head like if you get UB while memorizing u must put it on UL's place and the same thing with UL (move it to UB's place). So with this method u didnt need to use any extra moves so it makes solve faster (maybe)

I hope you understood me cuz i am not native english speaker too

Last edited:

S.S.STAR

WCA
2017YANG75
Just do UF/UFR straight up. Learn corners first, as M2 edges isn't bad. That's advice from a slow blder, but I think that faster people would agree.

Yeah, that's what I will do. Corner comms first, and then edge.

About parity

I solve parity while memo. You just need to swap UB and UL in ur head like if you get UB while memorizing u must put it on UL's place and the same thing with UL (move it to UB's place). So with this method u didnt need to use any extra moves so it makes solve faster (maybe)

I hope you understood me cuz i am not native english speaker too

That method won't apply with commutators I think?

S.S.STAR

WCA
2017YANG75
No, u can use it with comms cuz it will always be even number of edges

Oh I see. I swap two pieces while memo and execute parity alg that switches 2 corners and 2 edges. Thanks!

most things here are correct

UF/UFR right away (eka or orozco if you need a transition method)
UF/UR swap for parity
learn comms by set

Thanks for advice. But what is 'set' means? Similar algs set or Same sticker set?

Eka parity fix looks great, I'll try it. Orzoco also. Thanks for algs!