• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What is your BLD method?

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
Did that guy just invent 3-style three years earlier?
Very probably. Joël was a legend - almost as much so as Stefan. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it was "invented" by a number of people independently, and Joël was just one of them. I suspect Stefan Pochmann knew it was potentially a practical method as well, as did several other people.

Right after 3-style actually caught on, there was some talk about the possibility of using 5-cycles instead of 3-cycles. Wouldn't it be interesting if someday 5-style actually became a thing? :) To make that possible, the big challenge would be to get where you can "see" how 5-cycle algorithms work, much as people currently "see" 3-cycles in their head now. I wonder if it's possible to do that generically?

Dancing Jules

Although I wouldn't be surprised if it was "invented" by a number of people independently, and Joël was just one of them

Shouldn't we stopp calling it "Beyer-Hardwick" then? Or at least change some info in the wiki? After all we also stopped calling CFOP "Fridrich" for the exact same reason.

Alex B71

Shouldn't we stopp calling it "Beyer-Hardwick" then? Or at least change some info in the wiki? After all we also stopped calling CFOP "Fridrich" for the exact same reason.

It mainly has stopped being called BH, it's usually known as 3style or speed optimized comms. BH, if i'm not mistaken is meant to be completely move optimal.

Alex B71

Very probably. Joël was a legend - almost as much so as Stefan. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it was "invented" by a number of people independently, and Joël was just one of them. I suspect Stefan Pochmann knew it was potentially a practical method as well, as did several other people.

Right after 3-style actually caught on, there was some talk about the possibility of using 5-cycles instead of 3-cycles. Wouldn't it be interesting if someday 5-style actually became a thing? :) To make that possible, the big challenge would be to get where you can "see" how 5-cycle algorithms work, much as people currently "see" 3-cycles in their head now. I wonder if it's possible to do that generically?

Sorry about this essay in advance.

I've been thinking about 5-cycle corners recently, just as a fun thing to do. And i don't have a clue... It's well beyond my mental ability. But here's what i made and wrote down after a few hours of trying to work out what i believe would be one of the more simpler cases.

I wrote this when looking at this case (UBL - UFL - FRD - LDF - BLD) and it seems to work for all cases where 1-2 are in the U layer and the last 3 on the D layer in a particular orientation.

[(R U' R' L' U' L) D]

Pieces 1 and 2 (In order of the Comm direction, in this case UFL and FDR)
get solved together in minimal moves (Stay in accordance with general
Commutator rules). 1 of the first two pieces are moved aside, not to be used until the final moves, whilst the other is used around the "LOOP"... A sort of traveling buffer piece. In
this case piece 1 is used to swap out piece 4 so it may be placed into the
position of piece 5 then placing piece 5 into the buffer position... If
all done correctly, the loop piece will move on to interact with the
pieces swapped out in the first few moves, when reversing the moves, to finish it's journey as a traveling buffer having no where else to go but back to where it began
traveling. all whilst still following comm rules, i think... maybe, i don't know. That's the best i can
explain that...

R U' R' ( L' U' L D L' U L R U R') D'
\ 1 / -- \ 2 / \3/ \ 4 / - \ 5 / \6/

1. F2P (First 2 pieces)
2. Start of the Loop & start of main Comm
3. Interchange
4. End of main comm & mid point of the loop
5. End of loop, solving all remaining pieces relative to each other
6. Undo Interchange
() = the "loop" thing/traveling buffer

This only saves 2 moves over the two 3 cycles i would normally use and it's terrible in terms of speed, Here's another example that operates on the same principle but saves 4 moves over my normal two 3 cycles and is actually quite a bit faster IMO.

UBL - FLU - RDF - FDL - LDB
[D' (L' U' L2 U L')]

Sorry about the way i write comms, and also i think iv'e taken this as far as i can. A smart, experienced person should have a better look at this, they'd be cool to see. I have a few other's of this type... But that's as far as i can generate with intuition.

Any further input is welcomed.

Mike Hughey

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007HUGH01
SS Competition Results
YouTube
Visit Channel
It mainly has stopped being called BH, it's usually known as 3style or speed optimized comms. BH, if i'm not mistaken is meant to be completely move optimal.
Actually, I think it's very reasonable to keep calling move-optimized commutators BH. BH is a clearly defined but now somewhat inferior method. Unfortunately for me, I basically still do BH, not optimized 3style. (There are about 6 algs that I use that are not move-optimized commutators - mostly the Per Specials.) These days, the fast people use speed-optimized algs for 3-cycles, not move-optimized, which is definitely not BH. BH is by definition (as defined by its creators) move-optimized commutators for every single case.

@Alex B71 - Those are some mind-blowing commutators. Those examples just serve to confirm my suspicion, though, that it probably never would be practical. It seems like there are probably only a relatively small subset of 5-cycles (percentage-wise) that would actually be better for speed than a pair of 3-cycles. I can see us getting where the very best people learn that subset and use them to shave off milliseconds from their solves, but I doubt we'll get where you would always do your first 5-cycle with a single commutator. Still, it would be really cool if I was wrong about that. :)

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I use freestyle method.
I want to avoid 3-style as much as I can as it is addictive and I will settle for that method permanently.

Freestyle , has some good attributes that top BLDers are developing like premoves, floating buffer, parity cancellation, setups to ZBLL and some pure piece 4 cycles.

I love this method but it is taking too long time to develop.

abunickabhi

WCA
2013GHOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hehe,

But, secrets cannot beat plain practice!
You have to preserve and develop the secret as well as practice on it and the conventional method at the same time!

5 cycles are feasible!

To prove my feasibility point,

To accelerate the learning rate, I have developed the Yo notation to memorize the algorithms.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bfDsydw6pxBftd8Xwik95FNjILGkdrJMBO5EORbftII/edit?usp=sharing

I will be also documenting my progress on the fingertricks that I get for each case like in this video:
Since I am just starting out drilling, not all algs are sub-1ed by me, but I think they can be sub 1.5ed since most of the algs are no more than 14 moves.

Right now, I am 8000 algs down, and I need to memorize ~118000 algs more.
https://github.com/abunickabhi/5-style/blob/master/5-style-edge.pdf

With the Giiker cube coming out last year, I can drill even more algorithms faster and randomly, and save time.